Vejer de la Frontera is ideally situated for a variety of activities both active & cultural. Every day the hotel management provides an up to date list of events & activities within the locality & the province. Here is a recommended sample of local activities & attractions:
Birdwatching, Walks & Nature
- Walk from the hotel to the beach through open countryside & pine forests to Trafalgar Bay. The hotel has maps and guide books with local walks available.
- Birdwatching - this area is on one of Europe's busiest migration routes. Enjoy local bird watching, from coastal to wetlands & raptors in the nearby highlands. Stephen Daly at Andalucian Guides offers day tours and birding tours for novices and experienced 'birders'. Contact Stephen directly for more information.
- Walk to the Santa Lucia roman aqueduct, explore the aqueduct & local fauna before enjoying a meal in one of the garden restaurants in the valley.
- Take a kayak or be guided from a small vessel through the dunes & waterways of the Cádiz Marine Park seeing a mass of birdlife.
- Take a day Whale Watching in the Straits from nearby Tarifa, see Catchalote, Finn Whales & Dolphins. Don’t miss the Orcas feasting in August / September.
- Europe's largest oak forest the 175,000ha. Alcornocales Nature Park is a 30min. drive from Vejer giving access to a series of fresh water lakes & a walk to a 1,000m. peak.
- A day excursion could take you to Coto Donana, Europes most important Biosphere reserve.
Language & Culture
- Learn a language! Vejer has one of the Costa de la Luz's finest language schools with fun experienced staff in a wonderful historic building. Contact Colegio La Janda directly for more information.
- Relax with a charming nocturnal walk through Vejer's romantic narrow alleys & courtyards.
- Visit historic Cape Trafalgar or the Roman ruins overlooking the bay of Bolonia.
- Enjoy the outstanding fish market in Cádiz & explore the towns charming backstreets, monuments, parks & lively local shopping.
- In Jerez you can’t miss the famous sherry bodegas for a history tour & a tasting!
- Nearby Medina Sidonia & Tarifa are historic small towns with a rich legacy of monuments, history & views
Surf & Sport
- Southern Spain’s best surf beach is just a 10 minute drive away. Here at El Palmar you will find strong waves from October to May and smaller waves for learning through the summer. Laura Palmer at Trafalgar Surf School offers surfing and paddle surfing (SUP) courses throughout the year for children and adults.
- If you enjoy uncrowded golf then Vejer is the place to stay. The outstanding natural wilderness of the Montenmedio Golf course is unique in southern Europe and it's just a 10 minute drive from Vejer. Also nearby are Benalup and Novo Sancti Petri.
- Take a mountain bike for rides either along the coast or on quiet trails through the interior. All year.
- Kite Surf at Cape Trafalgar or windsurf at Tarifa. Courses, schools & equipment hire locally.
- Three riding stables locally offer you gallops on empty beaches (not July-Septenber) or stunning rides through pine forest & open country.
- Sea or lake kayaking from March to November. Great scenery, good weather & warm water.
- Trek along the coast or up to over 1,000m. in the nearby Alcornocales forest.
The Montenmedio golf course (6.260 meters, 18 holes and par 72) is different from all other Spanish courses. Not a single building affects its fairways and Greens. It is surrounded by forests of wild olive, cork oak and pine trees and has impressive views of the Atlantic and to Vejer de la Frontera just a 5 minute drive away. If you enjoy golf then this is a fabulous and unique course. Other courses in the area include Fairplay Benalup, Novo Sancti Petro and many others (Montecastillo, Villanueva, El Puerto, Sherry Golf) are within easy range for a weeks worth of great sport).